Many Windows users have complained about some error message saying “A disk read error has occurred” in the computer. The error actually prevents the system from booting, and the operating system directs the users to press Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination to restart the computer. But unfortunately nothing works, and the problem persists.
The problem could be related to the hard drive of the computer. It spreads like a computer virus from one system to another one. Some experts say that the problem could be software related as well. If you are also facing the same “A disk read has occurred” in your system, and cannot boot your system correctly, then don’t worry about it as in this guide you will get to know about a collection of some workarounds to repair the damage.
Here are the solutions to solve the Disk Read Error in Windows
Using the Command Prompt
1. Press Windows key + S. it will the Windows search box.
2. Type cmd in the search box.
3. Now, press Enter.
4. Double-click the Command Prompt to open it.
5. Type chkdsk C: /f /x /r command and press Enter button from the keyboard.
6. Now, the system will run a scan. Wait for it and let the window close.
7. Now, restart your computer.
Master Boot Record Troubleshoot Method
1. Turn off your computer completely and then turn it on manually.
2. Now immediately press the F8 button from your keyboard top “F” section.
3. Select the Troubleshoot and then Command Prompt.
4. Type bootrec /RebuildBcd command and press the Enter button.
5. Now type bootrec /fixMbr and press the Enter button.
6. Again type bootrec /fixboot command.
7. Now, press Enter to execute the command.
8. Wait for completion of the process.
9. Now, restart your computer.
10. The problem should be resolved.
Try Resetting your BIOS
When the error “A disk read error has occurred” appears in the system, the resetting of the BIOS could be a solution to bring out the desired results.
1. Restart your computer and repeatedly press Del or F2 button.
2. Now, wait till the BIOS load on the screen.
3. The mouse will not work this time, so you have to sue the keyboard arrows buttons.
4. Now, navigate to the Setup Defaults options and select Load Setup Defaults.\
5. Now press the Enter button.
6. Save changes and confirm to reset the BIOS.
7. This method should resolve the Disk read error.
Check your Hardware
1. Remove the hard drive and other hardware from the computer. Then try reattaching them to the system and try accessing the files and folders.
2. If you run antivirus for a full system scan, then you should have an effective and trustworthy antivirus in your computer system.
3. Try to change the system with the hard drive. If the hard drive is working on a different system, then either the problem is in your computer or the cables connecting the both.
4. Try to interchange the RAM. Remove the RAM and clean out the dust, now reattach it in the CPU. This method is little technical, but you can handle the situation very well.
Trying the methods mentioned above will troubleshoot the “A disk read error has occurred” from your Windows computer.
James thomas is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.