Losing an important document is a common complaint that people have these days. Those who are facing this problem are now looking for the solution. If you are also facing the same issue and looking for the solution, then you must follow the methods mentioned below to find and recover the lost word document. People lose their documents especially when they are in a hurry and forget to save it, and as a result, they lose an important file. But there are some methods through which you can recover the lost word document on your Mac, hence there is no reason to panic.
Here is how to restore lost word document on Mac
The file goes missing when you accidentally delete it. The accidental deletion usually occurs when we are in a hurry and removing multiple files or documents from the system. In that moment of madness, we end up with deleting the document which wants to keep and hence the moment of panic begins. But fortunately, Trash is a location in a system where you may find the document.
- Double click to open the Trashcan icon.
- Go through all the content present in the Trash and find the document or file you accidentally deleted.
- If you find it, right-click on the document and select Put Back from the menu.
- Now, return to the folder where you deleted the document.
- There you will the document in the saved in the folder.
Recovering Through Time Machine
Losing an important file which was stored in the Mac system could be a frustrating situation. But fortunately, Time Machine is a tool to take your back in the time where you had your files with you. It is always advised to Mac users to backup the system using Time Machine as well because it is an essential component.
- Click the Apple icon in your Mac.
- Click System & Preferences and select Time Machine to open.
- Click the Select Backup Disk, and choose the disk you want to use.
- Click the Back Up Automatically option to automatically backup the system.
- When you want to restore using Time Machine backup, open Time Machine tool.
- Click the Show Time Machine in the menu bar and select Enter Time Machine.
- Find the file or folder you want to recover and then click the Restore.
- In a moment, you will be able to view the document or file you just lost.
Try Word Auto Recovery Folder
Word has an auto-save feature, Auto Recover enabled by default. Word is saving the document every ten minutes without letting you know about it. So if you have lost the document because of unexpected reason then don’t worry then you can restore the lost document.
- To find the Auto Recovery folder, click the File option and find the Auto Recover.
- Find the document and open it up.
- Now save it with a new name.
Find in the Temporary Folder
The Mac system also has a Temporary folder, but it is not easy to find it. Hence it requires a little effort to find the Temporary folder.
- Open the Application and go to Utilities.
- Now, click Terminal.
- You can press Command + Space key combination to open Terminal.
- Type open $TMPDIR and press the Return key.
- Now, the TMP folder will open where you can find a see a folder called Temporaryitems.
- Open the Temporaryitems and check if the folder is there or not.
If you have followed the methods and tricks from the guide, then you must have recovered the lost work document in your Mac. But there are some tips to avoid losing the Word document again and again. Remember, while working on the Word document you must save the document frequently. In this way, you will neither lose the content nor the document.
James Thomas is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, James has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.